Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hair Cut Witnessing

I had not expected the conversation to turn in that direction.
She had been cutting my hair for about three months.

I knew she was a recovering Baptist.
She knew I was a United Methodist Minister.
She doesn’t believe in women ministers.
Or building programs.
Or once saved always saved.

She does believe in the power of Christ and the teachings of Jesus.
I’d invited her to attend a United Methodist Church near her home.
She said she’d think about it.
She never did.

I asked why she didn’t come.
She said she was busy.
I asked, “do you have a holy longing?”
She said she didn’t.
I asked, “do you ever wrestle with doubt?”
She said, “I do.”

As she finished my hair cut, she said,
“You know, my husband grew up Jehovah’s Witness.
His family didn’t speak to him for ten years when we joined the
Baptist Church.
Will you pray for my husband ,Mark. I’d go back if he’d go with me.
But he has trouble with it all.
"Ok."

“I’ll pray,” I said.

I don’t know if I’ll ever see her again.

Today was her last day to cut hair. She was retiring.

So I’m left to my prayers.
I am wondering how many thousands of others like her are cutting hair or
Checking at Wal-Mart or changing the oil at Jiffy Lube.

She said she missed singing in the choir and serving.

“I was a worker,” she said.

“Thanks for the haircut,” I said.,
I’ll pray for Mark.

And I walked out the door.

Was it enough?

1 comment:

  1. I want to have a side career as a barber to cut hair and talk to people about Jesus while the service is being provided. It's a unique 10-25 minutes to speak into people's lives. THe conversation welcomes Christ

    ReplyDelete