Friday, August 7, 2009

It's Friday but...

I'll leave in the morning for Cambellton, Georgia. Sunday morning I'll be preaching at the Cambellton United Methodist Church where our son, Chris, is a student pastor. Chris is in the midwest, attending a wedding of one of his friends from soccer playing days, Jared Monts.



Cambellton is one of many rural congregations across our United Methodist Connection. The church predates the civil war in its beginnings. Out back are civil war graves as well as the graves of former slaves. It's sobering to take the walk behind the church, down the path to the cemetary.



I look forward to seeing Miss Mary Eliza and Dan and all those whose lives are blessed by being a part of that faithful community of believers.



The Gospel lesson for Sunday is from John's Gospel, chapter 6, where Jesus says in a variety of ways, "I am the Bread of Life."



I'll begin by saying, "I've never met a bread I didn't like." We will travel a journey together and our lives will be gathered up in the Spirit and Presence of God.



I suspect there will be bread enough to sustain us all as we gather. And a bridge will be built between a son and a dad, a pastor and a congregation, between a Mississippian and some good, salt of the earth Georgians.


And for that, I give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment